Friday 9 October 2015

Renegades and Heretics: Evolving the list Part 1


Its been a very long time since I have done an evolving list, and last time it was with the Eldar, a couple of codex's ago. Currently my renegade list is rather stale, as I only have a small number of models, but I want to try and grow it into something of a more playable list, while still keeping its character.


The attraction of the Renegades and Heretics for me is the ability to make a lot of different kinds of lists. But one of my favourite features is that you can have a Heretek magus leading your force. A fallen techprist who likes to make crazy daemon engines? What's not to love? So with this theme I have created a list to start off evolving. It might not work, and if it doesn't I will keep trying, hence evolving the list. Each list change will likely be a small change as it will take me time to buy anything new for the renegades. Onto the first list:

Renegades and Heretics V1

Renegade Command Squad – 120 (warlord)
heretek, covenant of khorne, melta bomb, krack grenades, melta gun, +2 guys
Chimera – 70
Autocannon, heavy flamer, militia training

20 Mutants – 80
champion, covenant of khorne, hand weapon and pistol

Infantry Platoon

Command – 85
20 men, Demagogue, melta bomb, chaos sigil, krack grenades

Infantry – 70
20 men, chaos sigil, krack grenades

Infantry – 50
10 men, 2x flamer, krack grenades
Chimera – 60
autocannon, heavy flamer

Infantry – 50
10 men, 2x flamer, krack grenades
Chimera – 60
autocannon, heavy flamer

Blood Slaughterer – 130
2x dreadnought close combat weapon

Devil Dog – 125

Sentinel squadron – 60
Heavy flamer

Heavy Ordinance – 160
2x medusa cannons

Demolisher – 160

Defiler – 220
power scourge

Total: 1500

This list is based around the idea of the heretek and his engines of war, so the tanks, the daemons and hordes of infantry backing him up. With this list having bs 2 its shooting isn't great, so I have gone for template and blast weapons to try and counteract that. I have many flamer weapons to thin out infantry and blast weapons to hopefully take out his tanks from a distance.

I have 3 large units of infantry to take and hold objectives, as well as 3 chimeras of guys to move up and hopefully attack the enemies points. My two walkers are both designed for combat, the blood slaughterer will likely deep strike into the enemies position as he has to move towards the closest unit, and it will hopefully get him into charge range quickly. The defiler will walk up and charge what ever it can, be it a heavily armoured tank or infantry unit in the way. While the blood slaughterer is Av 13 on the front, and can take some punishment, the defiler is only 12 and can and likely will, get krack grenaded to death. However I have given the defiler a power scourge to reduce the ws of who ever attacks him, so if he can combine his attacks with the slaughterer, nothing will survive.

Lords of War will likely be a problem, unless I can punch them to death with my walkers, which is unlikely. I may have to swap something out if it is too much of a problem, but if I come across something like a tank lord of war I should be able to krack grenade it to death, as most have weak rear armour. I think it will be wraithknights which will be a problem, but they are a pain in every ones ass.

What other weaknesses have I missed with this list? The defiler and heretek upgrade are probably a wast of points, so if they are just a lead weight I could buy something more useful. But for now they are a nice little touch for theme.

Anyway, what do you all think?  

13 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I'm still refining my own lists (which you helped me to imprve in Dakka's forum) and I think I like your list but I miss a bit more firepower. For my tastes, it's a bit too much close fighting style.

    I think maybe the solution is to have a bit less people but more specialized weapons instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there isn't many long range guns, what would you suggest? If i dropped the defiler i could probably get something like a full laser destroyer battery, that would give me a little more fire power with a good toughness. However i don't have the models.... yet.

      Hows your list going?

      Delete
    2. My lists are improving pretty well, thanks.

      I don't really like you drop the defiler due I consider it a good support unit (just a bit overcosted). What I dislike for example are those 3 sentinels with heavy flamers and one of the 20 men renegade infantery squad and invest the points in a renegade support squad or even in laser destroyers batteries. You already have so many bodies so just a bit less of them in exchange of some firepower could be nice.

      Delete
  2. Yay it's Friday => there must be a new article up at Skulkers Surprise!

    Alright! I like the Heretek, even though he's more of a fluff choice rather than power. My only 2 games with jeretics so far I brought him as my warlord, mainly so I could bring a Decimator which is almost as overpriced as the Defiler. Honestly, if you really like the Defiler model, go for it, but I think otherwise I'd drop him for a Russ and/or something else. Maybe add a second Demolisher and then your heavy mortars.

    The Blood Slaughterer I love - this thing will tear up anything it touches! Awesome model, too.

    I see you keep bringing a Devil Dog - have you been happy with it so far? I thought the small blast template is too inaccurate to reliably take out armor. Maybe a Hellhound or a Banewolf for some ap3 would be better? Though I haven't actually tested the DD so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your opening comment really cheered me up, thank you for that.

      The devil dog hasn't really done much, but i have only used it in the 4k game and vs the dark eldar where it got immobilised turn 1. So i want to keep using it to see if i like it or not. Im hoping a fast melta blast template will be useful, and i can hang around with the chimera as they move forwards.

      Delete
  3. I assume that sentinel squadron is 2 or 3 guys? If so, great. I also agree, LoW will give you headaches, especially multiple LoW lists like knights. For that reason alone, keep the Devil Dog. You'll need him. I wish you had more meltabombs scattered about, might be worth even dropping the krak grenades for them. Also, don't underestimate those daemon engines against a knight. Three attacks isn't much and you do have a saving throw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renegade sentinel squadrons start as a unit of 3, sorry i should have made it a little more clear, which isn't too bad for heavy flamers.

      Knights will really mess me up, but if i just face 1 i might be ok. maybe if i dropped a couple of mutants i could add a melta bomb to that unit, but it will be a lot of points to add characters to units with melta bombs, which could be difficult.

      With the power scourge on the defiler, I might be able to slow one down before it gets stomped on. It reduces the ws by D3, so if i roll a 3 the knight will be hitting me on 5's, which gives me a chance.

      Delete
  4. Have you considered upgrading the Blood Slaughterer with an Impaler? You lose one attack, but if you get a hit you can technically "charge" a vehicle or monsterous creature on the same turn that you deep strike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have though about it, but i bought the model with out the impaler so i don't want to upset myself and realise the impaler is amazing. But i will test it out in the future though.

      Delete
  5. Id drop the sentinels for a Wyvern. Id drop the Demolisher as you already have the medusas. Some real artillery will help you. Long reach and no line of sight cancels out crappy mobility. Earthshakers or something perhaps? Defiler is not so hot either. I think youll be disappointed in AV12 after playing Soul Grinders for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would quite like some earthshaker artillery for some more barrage power. I know the defiler won't be great compared to a soul grinder, it makes no sense how they are similar points, but i want to try it.

      Delete
  6. I'm wondering why are you not taking special weapons in your big infantry squads? Always been the biggest appeal to me for renegade infantry to throw a whole bunch of special weapons in there, maybe grenade launchers since they can be blast and are cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As im not taking militia training my guys are stuck as BS 2, so i didn't want to buy plasma or melta guns which will just miss. The grenade launchers could work but i don't think a bunch of strength 3 templates will add much to the list.

      Delete