Tuesday 21 May 2013

Time for a new game: Warmachine



With my attention slightly turned away from my Eldar, it has let other things worm its way in. While I have been playing with my space wolves they apparently don’t hold my attention as well as the pointy eared ones. So it has come to pass that another game is about to be added to my repertoire, Warmachine. 

I have heared of warmachine for a while now and looked at the models every now and then, and not though much about it. But over the last few weeks I have been watching youtube battle reports to try and pick up the basics of it and I was rather impressed with what I saw. While 40k can take a few hours to play it appears that warmachine can be done in an hour or two, which could be a welcome change. I then started looking at the models of the different factions, now some of the models just don’t appeal to me, the Cryx especially I hate, the models just don’t look worthy of being made in my eyes, but some of them did catch my eyes. I quite liked the Cygnar models with the classical steam punk look with lightning everywhere, the Protectorate of Menoth with fire and robes and the Retribution of Scyrah for some odd reason. 

What was the final nail in the coffin? Well my local gaming group is starting up a league for newbs, so that just seemed like the perfect time to get involved with a new game. We have about 20 people involved in the league so I will have plenty of people to play against and I think most of the factions are represented. I should mention it’s a Warmahorde league so I will be facing off against warcasters and warlocks (is that what they are called in hordes?) alike. I’m rather looking forwards to it. Another thing that appealed to me is that the league is an escalation league, every 2 weeks. So every 2 weeks we will increase our armies by about 5 points a go. So I will hopefully be able to paint them up if i get time. Anyway the force I decided to go with? Protectorate of Menoth, I’m a going to burn you all!

Protectorate of Menoth
With my faction picked the next task was to get a force build up. I didn’t want to spent a lot of money into this game. So I picked up a 2 player starter and split the contents with my mate Dave. He already had a Khador force but was willing to do me a favour and go half. So that gives me a starting force and a warcaster. It should do me for both the 15 point game and 20. I doubt I will be winning many games but I want to just have fun with this game and not be very competitive. If I win, great, but I doubt I will.

The caster I get with the Menoth force is Kreoss, however looking though the factions of Warmachine: Protectorate of Menoth book I came across 2 warcasters that I really liked the look of. The Harbringer of Menoth, and Feora, protector of the flame. It was a hard choice, I like the idea of the Harbringer and I just love the model of her being dragged into battle in chains. I also liked the model and rules for Feora, I love the fact fire can’t go out when in her control range. I checked the price of the two models... Feora it is then.



So now I have my warcaster and a force for her to lead, for now. As I’m not going to be going competitive I can just go with the rule of cool and get whatever I want. When the game increases in points I'm going to get as much fire based models as I can. I already have my eyes on the flameguard cleansers and the covenant of Menoth. As much fire as I can get will be fun. I have to get close though, so that could be an issue for my force. I don’t know as I actually won’t have played a game until the league starts. So wish me luck.

Before I go, I want to share with you my colour scheme I am going to be painting my force. Instead of the regular Menoth force colours of red, gold and beige I will be going for beige, blue and silver. Instead of having red flames I will be having blue, more of a magic/hot flame. I don’t know why but I feel it will make the models my own instead of just another Menoth force. Knowing how slow I am at painting it will probably take ages to do and I still have a lot of Eldar to paint as well. So wish me luck...


2 comments:

  1. I've been doing the same thing for a few months now, trolling Privateer Press' website. I've been taken with a few factions for Warmachine and Hordes. I really like the Retribution as well, but would actually like to paint them that way so I don't know if I can swing that. I've been liking Cygnar also, and more than a few from Hordes. Id have to con one of my 40k buddies into playing though, so I think that, plus 15 years into 40k myself makes me hesitate...

    I hope it turns out to be something awesome and different for ya! Be sure to throw some painting pics up as you go!

    Trogdor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of blue flames I agree on tge fact it would look really good, also just want to say im really enjoying the blog keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete